Latest Posts

[Review] Coin Heist by Elisa Ludwig


ABOUT

Title: Coin Heist

Author: Elisa Ludwig

Series: N/A

Publisher: Adaptive Studios

Publication Date: June 10th 2014

Get it Here: Amazon

Source: e-ARC provided by Adaptive Studios via NetGalley
Synopsis:

The last place you’d expect to find a team of criminals is at a prestigious Philadelphia prep school. But on a class trip to the U.S. Mint – which prints a million new coins every 30 minutes – an overlooked security flaw becomes far too tempting for a small group of students to ignore.

United by dire circumstances, these unlikely allies – the slacker, the nerd, the athlete, and the "perfect" student – band together to attempt the impossible: rob the U.S. Mint. The diverse crew is forced to confront their true beliefs about each other and themselves as they do the wrong thing for the right reasons.

Elisa Ludwig's Coin Heist is a fun, suspenseful, and compelling thriller, told from the revolving perspectives of four teens, each with their own motive for committing a crime that could change all of their lives for the better—if they can pull it off
4 out of 5 snowflakes!

I recieved an e-ARC from HarlequinTeen via Netgalley for an honest review. This fact in no shape or form affects my revew. Except for the existence of the review itself. I recieved no compensation for this review in any way.This is my honest opinion of the work.


This book totes itself as a Breakfast Club meets Ocean's Eleven and I can certainly see the Breakfast Club elements in this book and the Ocean's Eleven bit is probably obvious seeing as Coin Heist is a novel centering around a heist.

The POVs in this book switch between the four main characters in each chapter in order for the readers to get a greater sense of the ordeals and the situations of the characters. And as the characters are introduced, we get to see deeper under the facade that each of the characters portrays and their situations. Each of the characters has their own issues to deal with and they all come together to pull of this heist despite their differences. However, because of their differences, they're somewhat dysfunctional, the facade each of them put on getting in the way.

The heist itself was meticulously thought through and it was easy to tell that Elisa Ludwig put time and effort into the research and planning of the heist. However, because this is a YA novel and I'm a pretty big crime story buff, the heist wasn't quite as sophisticated as I would have liked, though I probably expect too much from teenagers pulling off their first crime.

The quotes I'm pulling from this novel remind me just a tad of The Breakfast Club (which I adore), and there's not much snark in this one, though I'm not complaining.
"'You're not boring," he said. 'Not at all. But you're also not perfect, because nobody is.'"

"Anything to keep up the illusion of my perfection."

"My voice peeled out in a ribbon of sound curling around the room, bigger than me, bigger than anyone."

"'He did what was good for him,' I said. 'People act in their own self interest.'" 
The ending wasn't quite as satisfying as I would have liked, though I understand why it was done that way. I kind of hoped for something a little different for the ending, the ending is a little reminiscent of one of the movies it's toted as.  Despite this, it was an enjoyable read and really fun. Coin Heist comes out June 10th!

Happy Reading!
post signature

Comments

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)