Latest Posts

[Review] Until Alex by J. Nathan


ABOUT

Title: Until Alex

Author: J. Nathan

Series: N/A

Publisher: self published.

Release Date: June 20th 2014

Get it Here: Amazon

GoodReads Page

Source: e-ARC via NetGalley
Synopsis:
On the outside, Hayden is every girl's living breathing fantasy, brooding and devastatingly gorgeous. He spends his nights losing himself in alcohol and faceless girls, but it's all just a facade. An elaborate cover for the emotionless shell of a man he is. One who harbors too many secrets and destroys lives the way his was destroyed. It’s the reason he avoids relationships and keeps everyone at arm's length…

Until Alex

Alex’s life just shattered into a million pieces, leaving her with more grief than she knows what to do with and guilt so deep it’s destroyed the carefree girl she once was. Now she’s hundreds of miles from home, living with an aunt she doesn't know, finishing senior year at a college she’s never been to, and trying desperately to get through a single day without breaking down. She's never felt more alone in her life...

Until Hayden

The trouble with Hayden is who he wants to be and who he is are in constant flux. And though he’d die before letting Alex learn the truth about him, he can’t be sure he's strong enough to let her in…or push her away. She’s the one person who just might see the real him.


I received an e-ARC from the author via NetGalley for an honest review. This fact in no shape or form affects my review. Except for the existence of the review itself. I received no compensation for this review in any way.This is my honest opinion of the work.

I have been craving some contemporary and new adult for some time now and I'm glad I got approved for this. I devoured this in a couple of hours as I seem to always do with contemporaries.

Trigger warning, this book includes abuse, drugs and heavy violence. 

I really loved Alex's character. She's strong and witty and she's incredibly open minded. Seriously. (SPOILER: How was she not freaked out that he was a potential killer??) Anyways, so much bad shit happened to her it's ridiculous and she somehow had the strength and the courage to walk in and continue on. I would have probably hid away. I see some of myself in her and I would like to think that I would react as she did in the situations that she got into.

Now Hayden. Hayden got a little creepy, especially since this is a dual POV. Although I'm pretty sure it was meant to be seen as adorable and so romantic, he was watching her from his window for four days. That's a little creepy. I liked that he was there for her when she needed it most and helped her through those really shitty situations.

When it comes to stories and shows and movies, I personally have a thing for the guys who are damaged. (I mean come on, the Winter Soldier is HOT, also Logan from Veronica Mars. mmm) So I think that's the reason that I didn't mind Hayden's issues all too much. He comes with a lot of baggage and I give Alex props for having the balls to deal with it all.

I really enjoyed this book and the trials and tribulations that Hayden and Alex's relationship went through as well as their own personal ordeals. I think this book is good for those who want a contemporary new adult that includes people with issues.



Happy Reading!
post signature

Comments

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)